Rider 3L Low Profile Hydration Pack
Rider is SOURCE's premier low profile hydration system. It is designed specifically for ballistic vest integration, yet quickly converts for back carriage or ruck insertion. Includes our WLPS hydration bladder. - NOW AVAILABLE: Limited Edition Rider in Flecktarn Woodland/Desert print!
FREE Worldwide Shipping for all orders over $60 USD
3L Rider Slim Design by SOURCE Tactical
Maximum utilization of our low profile technology greatly reduces the depth of the carrier making it a true low profile system. Rider is SOURCE's premier low profile hydration system, designed specifically for ballistic vest integration yet quickly converts for back carriage or ruck insertion.
The Rider is a component of SOURCE Virtus Soldier System as selected by the UK MOD in 2015 for the British Armed Forces.
Features Rider 3L
- Tuck-Away Contoured Shoulder Straps Shoulder straps are patterned for comfort and are designed to fold into a back storage pocket when not in use.
- Adjustable Sternum Strap Adds carrying stability. Adjusts to fit a range of body types.
- Elastic Strap Retainers Secures dangling strap ends.
- Dual Function Can be worn backpack style or quickly converted for direct armor attachment or streamlined ruck insertion.
- X-QCA™ System Connects Rider securely to armor or rucks with no need for additional straps or hardware. Fits a wide variety of vest configurations.
- Easy Reservoir Access Rider’s design allows the bladder to be quickly removed and refilled while its carrier stays on the vest. The zippered wide opening is secured with Velcro plus an optional snap.
- Cool Insulation Closed cell insulation keeps liquids cool for better absorption by the body.
- Easy Dry Loop With the zippered front open and the WLPS™ closure removed, the pack hangs upside down for draining and quick drying.
- Condensation Drain Port Drains condensation from the insulated reservoir sleeve.
- Dual Tube Routing Top and side ports allow the drinking tube to be routed either over the shoulder or below the arm.
- UTA™ Compatible Our UTA™ adaptor (sold separately) allows Rider to be refilled from bottles, spigots or mobile water units directly through the drinking tube. There’s no need to remove the system from your back!
WLPS Low Profile Hydration System included
Taste-Free™ System Glass-Like™ Liner technology in reservoir and tube delivers pure liquid taste with no plastic flavor.
Bacteria-Free™ System Grunge-Guard™ Antimicrobial technology blocks bacterial growth for the life of the system.
Technologie Glass-Like™ A multi-layer Polyethylene film utilizing SOURCE's Glass-Like™ technology, which prevents bio-film build up making the system self-cleaning. SOURCE's Glass-Like™ Film is 2000% smoother than standard TPU films, with virtually no difference from glass itself.
Care-Free™ System Glass-Like™ Liner with Grunge-Guard™ antimicrobial technologies eliminates the need for cleaning. For days, weeks and even months of use simply refill and drink again and again with no special care required.
Widepac™ Wide Opening Access Patented slide closure for easy filling, draining and cleaning. Airtight Seal! (U.S. Patent No. 7,648,276,B2)
- Length ....................... 14.1”/36 cm
- Width.......................... 9.8”/25 cm
- Max. Depth.................. 2.7”/7 cm
- Weight (pack).............. 0.48Kg / 1.07Lbs
Long version: Rider vs. Camelbak Mule
I am getting in shape for Army OCS and for that you need a Camelbak type hydration pack, at least 2 liters, in multicam . My old Camelbak Mule is the wrong color so I almost just went with the new version of the Mule, but chose to shop around and, man, am I glad I went with the Rider.
I am 5'3" so the short nature of the Rider is superior to the Mule, in that I get zero chaffing in the tramp stamp region.
Being wide in the neck the strap placement is perfect where the Mule could constrict and chafe my neck the Rider does not.
Being wide in the back, the strap locations are excellent, because I can have the pack secure bjt still take it off easily, where Mule I have to wiggle out of.
The straps on the Rider are not padded, but are wide enough to not dig in and, not being padded, they stow away nicely for attaching to a plate carrier.
I have hiked 12 plus miles with this pack just fine and ran 6 miles getting close to 7 minute miles just fine. Faster 1 to 2 mile runs are nicer than the Mule because of how close the Rider fits to the body.
You lose storage space going from the Mule to the Rider but you gain mobility with strap dimensions and close ride to the body. With the Mule, sitting or going through tighter spaces is uncomfortable or difficult compared to the Rider.
The Mule has and abdomen strap under the stirnum strap which I like. However, the Rider with the stirnum strap only is quite sufficient.
I like the helix bite valve and the quick disconnects are superior to the Camelbak types.
I would love to see a slightly smaller or thinner 2 liter version for running or training or recommending for people going to OCS as many of them fear the weight of the scary 3 liter pack. :)
Only negatives I've come across so far is the very limited pockets. There is just the one on the inside face that's very large but not ideal for what I would need to put in it. Also, I wouldn't recommend the black color just because if you're out in the sun for an hour to two hours straight, the sun is gonna turn your water lukewarm pretty quick (Texas heat is not kind).
Otherwise, this is definitely a 5 star hydration pack.
Looks really great in Coyote brown! Would be nice to have Smoke (aka Ranger) green option as well or maybe OD.